Thursday, December 16, 2010

these are a few of my favorite themes

























Choosing a style for our wedding was very easy. We decided to use the look of the venue as our inspiration so that everything flows nicely and doesn't feel out of place (it's the designer in me). I explained the style we are going for in a previous post on the EAD blog, but you probably get the idea just by browsing posts on here. Romantic (what wedding isn't romantic though?), sophisticated, organic with a slight old world feel, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with the style we have set and everything we have picked out, but there is a side of me that is in love with other styles as well. Below are a few and why I love them and why they don't work for us.

Rustic/Vintage/Indie: If you have googled "wedding ideas" or briefly glanced at any wedding blogs, you will know that this style is extremely trendy. There are elements of it that I love, but parts that really do not fit us at all. I love the worn out wood, vintage lace, old books and funky colors. The parts that do not fit us are the photobooth mustaches, guys in suspenders and the overall casual feel. We are not even close to being hipsters.

French Bistro: I love this style, but it really does not fit Mike. Plain and simple. Plus, he is Hispanic and I am German, might be a bit strange for us to have a French themed wedding...especially since he's never even been there. Fortunately for me, we still have a few of the elements that I love with this look - cobblestones, vines on the walls and a focus on wine.

Travel: Again, this style fits me, but definitely does not fit Mike. I love it when the tables are named after places the couple has traveled to, that would solve a little problem of ours! Unfortunately those table numbers would have nothing to do with him though.

Choosing a style is the easy part, but sticking with it is the challenge. You would think planning a wedding with our style criteria would be fairly simple, but you'd be surprised as to how difficult it is to find weddings like that. Two weddings that I always refer to when I am in a rut are the wedding of Ami from Elizabeth Anne Designs and a wedding featured on Style Me Pretty by Kristin Banta. Ami's wedding was ten years ago and is still beautiful and current. To me that truly means that it was timeless. When I get distracted by all the amazing trends out there, I have to remember, go for timeless! The SMP wedding reminds me of the look and feel that we have been desiring from the beginning. I am so in love with that wedding!

Image via Elizabeth Anne Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment