Sunday, May 29, 2011

eating clean


















































Lately I haven't been feeling well. Headaches, stomach aches, drowsiness and a lack of energy (not to mention other side effects that I wont mention, that would be TMI). I keep saying "I will start working out soon, that will help," but I'm starting to think those side effects are more related to what I am eating.

Before the wedding we were eating fairly healthy and I was cooking almost all of our meals. We were both working out and I lost 15 lbs and Mike lost 30 lbs. I was feeling better than normal, but I easily slipped away from that right before the wedding and immediately after (all-inclusive, all you can eat honeymoon, hello?!).

Honestly, I haven't felt 100% in a very very long time...maybe even since high school. I have always had a hard time with keeping up a workout routine after doing sports every single day in high school. Back then I never had to watch what I ate, but my mom always cooked healthy meals for us every single night so there really was no worry. I played volleyball, basketball, spirit line and track. I was fit! In college, working out and staying healthy became much more difficult and I would go through phases of being completely into it and then nothing at all...for months. During winter break of my junior year I went on a study abroad trip to India for about a month. The food is healthy there, but I got terrible food poisoning (seriously, I was out for 3 days). Since then I have been dealing with IBS (too much TMI? Sorry.) and I even went to a nutritionist per my doctor's recommendation. That's when I really got into cooking and learning about healthy, natural foods. I started to feel better and I slowly fell back into eating fast food, drinking soda and going out to eat (this happened when I was in a happy loving relationship with Mike). Together, Mike and I have gone through phases of eating healthy, losing weight and then falling out of it and gaining it all back.

But I'm ready now. Ready to take back control of what I put into my body and how I feel. I'm hoping this change will help with how I feel emotionally and physically. I have a close friend who switched to eating vegan a few weeks ago and she says she has never felt better. I have another friend who has challenged herself to eat half raw and I follow another blogger who eats completely raw and so far, has rid herself of depression. While I don't think I have the self-control (or desire) to completely rid myself of dairy, meat and especially cheese, I do think I need a change. Thoughts have gone through my head that maybe I have a gluten or dairy allergy, but I'm not ready to give up those foods until I try something less intense. I have decided to eat clean. The rules for eating this way are somewhat vague, but this is really how Mike and I used to eat when we were losing weight, so I have confidence that I can do it.

I am going to slowly work this in as we still have food in our freezer and pantry that isn't considered 'clean' (we just made a big Costco run last week!) and I don't want to go throw things away...plus there are two people living in this house. I'm still going to drink red wine and will stick to SkinnyGirl margaritas (those are clean and taste delicious...bethenny is part of the clean eating movement), and will occassionally have a malibu and diet. I can't give everything up, I need to enjoy life a bit. My biggest challenge by far will be to give up all the salty snacks that I love so much...chips and popcorn.

If you are interested, here is a list of what to eat on a clean diet and things to fill your pantry with. I'm wanting to check out this book and find great new recipes to try.

I'm confident I can get into this and stick with it, I'm just hoping it helps with some of these annoying symptoms. Have any of you ever tried a clean diet or other dietary restrictions to feel better and get healthy? I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Bad habits are easy to develop but difficult to live with. Good habits are difficult to develop, but easy to live with. If you are willing to be uncomfortable for little while, so you can press past the initial pain of change, in the long run, your life will be much better. 
(Joel Osteen from “Become a Better You” )

Image Source

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post Jana! Over the past year I've been having a record number of migraines as well as some other health issues. Usually I take Excedrin and just try to suck it up but I'm really wondering how much changing my diet would help rather than putting more chemicals in my body to temporarily get rid of the pain. Anyways I'm excited to see if eating clean helps you and am hoping to do something similar with my diet. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany! I'm starting this today and hoping all goes well...I will keep you updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck! looking forward to hearing your progress. i go off and on with how good i am at it... that's partly why i chose to do 50% raw, because it's actually a realistic goal for me, and just makes me aware of how many fresh fruits & veggies i'm eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Angela! Two days in and good so far. I already feel a bit better! My night cravings are just insane though, I need to keep myself busy to distract my stomach.

    ReplyDelete