Sunday, June 26, 2011

birthday week

This past week has been great (despite being on a big deadline at work for what seemed to be the never-ending issue). Somehow, my birthday seems to always turn into a birthday 'week'. I think its because Mike works most nights, and we like to celebrate our birthdays by ourselves and also with our families...so this equals multiple nights of celebrations. Nothing wrong with that, right? :)

Birthday week started off on Wednesday with dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Pizzeria Bianco.




































Since it was about 114 degrees that day, the wait was short...only about an hour. Yes, this sounds crazy, but we have waited up to three hours before! Bianco's simply has the best pizza in the country. I'm typically not a big fan of pizza, but I love theirs. Plus they have an old house next door for people to wait in that serves delicious wines, cheeses, appetizers and olives – my favorites! The hour wait was the perfect amount of time to spend at the bar while we snacked on olives, cheeses and drank a beer and wine. I had a rose wine which I'm usually not a fan of, but really loved. The pizza was incredible. Mike had the wiseguy and I had the rosa. Seriously, the rosa is the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Thin crust cooked in a wood-fired oven and the rosa is topped with pistachios, carmelized onions and rosemary – amazing.

Thursday was my actual birthday and I woke up to flowers on the dining room table with a birthday gift. I couldn't believe he snuck flowers in without me noticing, I was completely surprised! He is so sweet and for my gift gave me money to go shopping with on Monday (I have the day off work for my birthday). But to make things even better, he is coming with me and promises to take part in the shopping...no playing games on his phone or anything. I'm SO excited!

So Thursday evening my mom took me to dinner and we went shopping...and I already used some of my shopping money on a new purse, yay! It's similar to this one:






























Image Source

We also shopped at Aaron Brothers for some frames because they were having their one cent sale. We are hoping to do a collage kind of like this behind the sofa and down the hallways.




































Image Source

We're still trying to figure out if the frames should all be the same, coordinating or completely different. We're thinking of using wedding pictures in the living room and filling the hallways with pictures and items from our travels together (maybe he'll let me throw in a few things from India in there?).

Friday night was so fun. We had both of our families over at my parents house for dinner and dessert. Our nieces and nephew were there and they had so much fun playing together! Sophia didn't want to leave Leila's side, it was so sweet. Preston is so active now, its hard to get him to be still in any pictures...you can see him running out of the picture below!



























For dinner we had beer brats, sauerkraut, potato salad and homemade salsa. My mom made cherry cheesecake and lemon cheesecake for dessert. Everything was so delicious! You can see Mary Lou loved the dessert. ;)



























Everyone was so generous and brought gifts, so we had a gift opening. They all must know me really well because I got a couple bottles of red wine, a gap giftcard, kitchen utensils (Martha Stewart!), silverware from our registry, birthday cashola and....






























...pot holders! Yes, pot holders. My mom couldn't believe how excited I was over these Williams-Sonoma pot holders. I think I'm the only 26-year-old who gets excited over pot holders for her birthday. But we have been using really old gross ones for a long time and have desperately been needing these and I use them nearly every day. Why we didn't go out and buy some? I have no idea, but they sure did make a great birthday gift.

We are so blessed to both have our entire immediate families live so close so we are able to get together for every birthday. This sure has been a great birthday and I'm so glad we got to spend it with our families! Hopefully we'll have some great finds on our shopping trip tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo gallery wall idea Jana! I would love to do one in our house, but hesitate to put that many holes in the wall...

    ReplyDelete