Thursday, June 30, 2011

summer

Without a doubt, summer is my favorite season...even with the 115+ degree temps. There's nothing quite like the feeling of leaving a freezing cold grocery store into the blistering heat or the feeling of your sandals melting on the pavement as you walk or the constant smell of chlorine paired with green tinted hair from swimming every single day. Those are definitely the first things that come to mind when I think of summer, but I also think of all the memorable summer trips I have taken with family, friends and Mike. A summer is not complete without a trip to the midwest or California. Those are truly some of the best memories I have throughout the years. This year is no exception, we just booked a week-long trip to the midwest with the entire family! We will be in Manitowoc, WI visiting my aunt and uncle on their dairy farm, then heading to a family reunion to celebrate our grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary and then ending the trip with a few days in Chicago. As much as I love traveling to and exploring new places, these trips never get old to me.






























Visiting a beach in California with my family and going up "Herman the German" in New Ulm, MN.


























Visiting a beach in California. And yes that is tweety bird on my suit. Everyone thought I looked like tweety bird at this age, so my grandma got me a tweety bird suit set.





























Obviously Disneyland! :)

























This was the summer my brother and I went to New Ulm, MN by ourselves for two weeks to visit our grandparents. Seriously one of the best two weeks of my childhood.

























Ok, this one is a bit embarrassing for a few of us, but I just had to post it! Every five years my mom's side of the family gets together for a reunion, this was the year it was in Bemidji, MN. The girl cousins were on our way to see The Princess Diaries in the pic. When we got back there was a tornado warning, so scary for an Arizona girl like me!



























The summer my brother started dating Brooke we went to New York as a family (Brooke and Leila didn't come though, they weren't "that" serious yet). Please ignore the very not cool sunglasses. Despite the heat and humidity, we had a ton of fun!

























Five summers after the Bemidji trip we all went to Oregon and stayed in houses on the coast. It was amazingly gorgeous and so cool. I vote we go back in five years. :)




























Then there was the summer after I graduated when I went to Europe on a study abroad trip. I was in Barcelona, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam. It was the trip of a lifetime. I'm looking forward to going back to Paris and a few new places in Europe next summer with my husband!

























That same summer I was in Europe my family and I went to Minnesota for a wedding in Rochester. Of course we had to take Brooke and Leila to New Ulm for the first time. We visited Herman, Schell's Brewery and of course the Kaiserhoff! (Sigh...that was my skinny time...)



























More San Diego trips! This was my first trip with Mike.





























And then two years ago we took Mike on his first midwest trip. My cousin Laura got married that summer in Minnesota, we celebrated my grandpa's 80th birthday at my aunt's house in Fairibault and we went to visit New Ulm after. We dropped off my parents and Leila at the airport and we continued on with a stop in Manitowoc to visit my aunt and uncle and then a few days in Chicago. This was one of our best trips ever!



























This was last summer, we went to San Diego with Mike's entire family. So fun other than I got completely sunburnt to where it hurt to sit down. You think I would have learned by now?



























And also last summer my mom, Leila and I took a trip to visit my grandparents in New Ulm. Such a great girls' trip!

I am so looking forward to the memories we will be making this summer! This will be Preston's first time in the midwest (and on a plane) and Brooke's first time to the dairy farm and Chicago. I know they are going to love it!

1 comment:

  1. You could have done a whole post on just how adorable those yellow overalls are on you! sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete