Friday, August 26, 2011

wisconsin family history & memories

Earlier this month, we were in the midwest for my grandparents' 60th anniversary celebration. We actually flew in a few days earlier and headed over to the Manitowoc, WI area and visited with my aunt, uncle and their family. This is the area our entire family is from on my dad's side, so there is quite a bit of our family's history there. One of our ancestors actually founded the Manitowoc County. I love family history, so I asked if we could see the farm my grandma grew up on, where my dad grew up and a few of the places we always hear stories about.

Unfortunately the cheese factory that my great-grandpa owned is no longer there and the building where the liquor store was that my grandpa owned isn't there either. We did, however, get to see the farm my grandma grew up on.



























I can't even begin to tell you how many stories she has told about the farm she grew up on, the school she went to and how long the walk was to school. It was so great to see it all in person! Here is the school she went to. We drove from the house they lived in, to the school...what a walk to make everyday!



























Then we saw the church our grandparents got married at in 1943.



























Then we headed to the beach at Lake Michigan. I remember growing up and coming to visit this area and going to the beach and the park with the rocks. It was so fun to see my niece and nephew enjoying and seeing the places we grew up with. I can't wait to take our kids to these places someday too!



























Hmm...I remember these rocks in this park being bigger...



























And this is where we stayed, at my aunt and uncle's dairy farm just outside the city. Preston loved seeing all the "moo's" and Leila got to see her favorite dog, Rocky. I couldn't help but remember the different trips my family would take to WI and our stays on the farm. I was always scared of the dogs and my brother got his head stuck in the hay barrels (classic family joke).



























Thanks so much to my aunt and uncle who were fantastic hosts and my aunt who cooked delicious meals for us. :) I hope we'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment