Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mix & Match

This summer we are staying on a somewhat tight budget in preparation for our new house. Every time we think about spending money, we consider a) if it fits in the budget, b) if we really need it or c) is it more important than the house? (The answer to c is always no!) Makes life easy when we use that system, but my wardrobe has been lacking a bit. Fortunately, I lost about 15 lbs (and counting!) since last summer, so I'm fitting in all my old clothes, but there's something about refreshing a wardrobe each season that makes me happy. This summer, I've been trying to find things in my closet to wear and mixing them with inexpensive new pieces or accessorizing them up in a fun, new way.

Last week I went on a shopping trip (those are rare these days!) with my mom, niece and sister-in-law. I knew I was looking for basics and fun accessories and that is just what I found. I ended up getting a simple flowy white top from Loft, a loose black shirt from Nordstrom Rack and this belt but in orange (and also half the price), this necklace and also this necklace in black and tan. The tops were the most expensive pieces, but nothing was over $15! I've had a lot of fun so far mixing them up with other items already in my closet, it really makes a difference having those options.

I've also been considering taking up thrift shopping again and seeing what little gems I can find as far as accessories, blousy tops, jewelry and skirts go. I'm amazed at some of the things I see bloggers find at thrift stores, but I've never had such luck. Maybe I'll give it another whirl this summer? I also have a few old maxi dresses that I was going to get rid of, but will be trying to make skirts out of.

Pictured above are a few of my favorite fashion bloggers who have inspired me to look inside my closet and have a little more fun mixing what I already have:

Top left: The Daybook - I recently started following her, but I just love this tea length skirt she is wearing. I recently scored a similar one from Old Navy for $12, she inspired me to buy it and try mixing it with a tshirt and skinny belt.

Top right: Kendi Everyday - Kendi is by far my favorite fashion blogger! I love all of her outfits and how she pairs simple pieces together to make ourtfits I could actually see myself wearing. She always has the best accessories too.

Bottom left: Running on Happiness - I mostly like this one because she lives in Scottsdale, so she definitely dresses appropriate for the Arizona heat. I'm loving the outfit above, I've been very into mixing black and brown lately.

Bottom right: Real Simple - Not a fashion blog, but they has some great outfit ideas every once in a while. Loving the blousy top with the flowy skirt. Perfect summer outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment