Tuesday, October 9, 2012

As of lately...


The past few weeks have been rough. In college, I had a lot of anxiety that I learned to deal with through meditation and yoga. Since then I've really learned how to deal with it quite well, but the past few months have been a bit stressful to say the least. I won't go into detail, but I'm just so happy that I have this amazing husband who truly helps me with my anxiety (oh and him doing the dishes is a plus too!).

Over the past few days, I've really done a lot of thinking about how to calm my mind and feel more at ease. After talking it through with Mike and freinds, I've come to the conclusion that a few things need to happen:
• Relax. Sounds easy, but sometimes I get so caught up in my to-do list and everything that needs to get done and keeping the house spotless (and stressing when it's not), that I forget to just chill a bit. And when I am relaxing, to not worry about what needs to be done or feeling guilty because those things aren't being done. Everyone needs a break!
• Go on a trip. It feels like we desperately need time away and just with each other. A day trip up north would have sufficed, but we're excited that we get to go to San Francisco in December!
• Healthy routine. This means getting an exercise routine back and watching what I eat. For the most part we eat healthy at home, but its the small things I need to watch that make me feel not so great. It's also so nice outside, that it's time to get the bike tires pumped and get out there. It's amazing how eating habits and exercise can affect your mental well-being.
• Learning to say no. I love being involved in everything, but it ends up causing me more stress than anything. I need to learn when to say no and feel like it's ok to do so.
• Focusing on us. I spend a lot of time on my own since Mike works evenings and nights. I'm ok with this schedule since it allows us to be together all day and when we do have kids, it really is the perfect scenario for childcare, but sometimes it causes me to tag along with others and focus a bit too much on what is going on with everyone else and helping them instead of what is going on with us and doing stuff for ourselves.
• Do things that we enjoy. There are a lot of things that we haven't done recently that I wish we were (hiking, farmer's market, day trips, shopping, decorate for the holidays). I guess this relates back to focusing on ourselves, but also making sure I have time to do things with and for others that I enjoy doing (spending time with family...especially our nieces and nephews, helping friends with their weddings, invitations, lunch/dinner with friends).

Yesterday was a big day for me to catch up on life and get a few items back in order. It felt so good to accomplish things and make my way through a hefty to-do list, it actually helped me relax at night. There is still a lot out of order and things that need to be done, but we'll get there...and learn to chill out while doing it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment