Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gluten-versary

Yesterday was my one year gluten-versary! I can hardly believe it's already been a year since I started my elimination diet and learned of my intolerance. It's been really difficult at times (for me and for family), but cooking and dining GF has become my lifestyle and I'm so happy with the results it has brought to my health and well-being. I am happier, not sick every day and if that wasn't enough, I lost 20 lbs in the last year! I truly did not adapt to this lifestyle to lose weight, but it definitely doesn't hurt with the motivation to keep going.

I must note that eating gluten free, packaged carb products will NOT make you lose weight. In fact, that would probably make you gain more weight! Rather, the fact that I have cut out a ton of processed foods and not replaced gluten-filled items with processed replacements has helped with the weight loss.

I'm not going to lie though, there have been incredibly difficult times and plenty of people who just don't get it or think I'm being "over the top." Yes, I have to have them change their gloves at Chipotle before making my meal, not because I'm "that" intolerant, but because they touch flour tortillas all day and then put their hands all over my food. Trust me, I hate asking them to do that and I have tried eating a rice bowl without asking them to change gloves and it just doesn't work. No, I cannot just pick out croutons or bread pieces from my salad. And no, I can definitely not just have a "cheat" day unless I want to be sick for three days afterwards.

Although there have been tough times, I am just so grateful for the family and friends (and especially husband!) who have been so understanding, accommodating and encouraging. A lot of times I feel uncomfortable or annoying asking people what they put into their food that they made for me or asking to avoid certain restaurants because I literally can't eat anything on the menu, but those friends and family who have been so understanding and supportive are the reason I'm able to stick with this. I can't thank them enough!

The above image is one of my favorite easy meals, pad thai. The pasta is rice noodles and I use GF soy sauce. Just note that I add more sauce than the recipe calls for. I also add in more siracha because I like it spicy and I boil the rice noodles instead of soaking them, just like the instructions on the box say.

No comments:

Post a Comment