Friday, August 30, 2013

God's Timing

Today is our due date and I couldn't be happier about making it here! August 30 sounded like an eternity back when we found out we were pregnant on December 23, but now it is finally here. Of course, doesn't mean baby will be here today, but it's quite a landmark to reach in our minds since this has been the goal date all along. Now, I know I have been pretty whiny about not having baby girl yet, but I'm starting to see why God is working his timing the way He is.

Wednesday night and into Thursday early morning, I had about 8 hours of regular, strong contractions (I had a prenatal massage hours before these started, I think that's what set them off!). There was no doubting whether they were Braxton Hicks or the small crampy contractions I had been having. These were knock you off your feet, take your breath away real contractions. We timed them for three hours at about 10-15 minutes apart and I walked nearly that entire time. By 11pm we were exhausted and decided we'd go to bed and if they were meant to turn into real labor, then it would. We had a horrible night of sleep that night as I woke up constantly with the contractions until about 4:30am. When I woke up at 6am, they had dulled down and were just the small crampy contractions I had been having for the two weeks prior. We went to the mall to walk, went swimming, did all we could to get them to come back, but they just weren't happening. I was pretty upset, but our hopes had been up multiple times before, so it wasn't anything new.

This morning, as we turn 40 weeks, I found out why God meant for us not to go into labor then. I woke up with a head cold. Fun stuff, right? A few days ago Mike was stuffed up and sneezing but no other symptoms so we figured it was allergies and he stuck to taking Claritin. Well, we learned it was actually a cold and now I'm sick with the same thing. I'm so glad we (possibly) have some time to get over this cold before labor begins and our baby is around us 24/7. Doing all I can today to kick this cold and get better. I need to be able to breathe to push!

Mike has been off work for a full week now and I have to say that it has been some of our favorite times together. Yes, it has been full of frustration and aches and pains, but we haven't had quality time together like this in a long time, since our honeymoon. It's really a blessing to be able to have this time to ourselves before our lives are forever changed. We thought we'd want baby to arrive right when he started his time off, but as the week has moved on and we still don't have her, we've realized that this time is so precious that we get together and we should cherish it...even if we're just sitting on the couch blowing our noses together. :)

We've been praying a lot for our baby and her health, our health, knowledge for the nurses and doctors and (the biggest one for me) patience and trust in His timing. After all, none of this is truly in our control!

No comments:

Post a Comment