Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Project Life

Being a designer (specifically one who designs magazine layouts for a living), I took a lot of time to think about how we would record Emma's first year and what we would use for her baby book. I finally decided on using the Project Life system (click on the link for more info on how it works). I'm pretty excited about how easy it will be to include unique items and if I feel up to it, even designing my own things to place in the pockets.

This is my first layout (I don't even have an album yet!) and I'm excited about the possibilities, but still feel like I'm missing something with this layout. I may change how I do the intro card because I'm not thrilled with how it looks with my handwriting, but that's the best part about this, you can change things out so easily since they are all just slid into the pockets. I figure I'll get better at this as I keep doing it, but I wanted to start ASAP so we didn't forget all the little details that have been happening with Emma.

Of course there's still a part of me that thinks I should be designing her baby book from scratch and with my own designs, but let's be real, I only have so much time in the day being a mom and working full-time. This album can be done during a nap time or during a lunch break, it's so quick and easy!

We'll see how well I can keep up with this and if I start to like my layouts better, but I'm hoping to start a 2014 album for our family and hope to keep it up every year. Such a great way to get those pictures out of the camera and phone and printed in a book!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jana...that's so cool that you decided to do Project Life! I have been doing it since the start of this year and I love it. I saw in a previous post that you mentioned maybe starting it at the beginning of next year and I think that it was such a good idea to just start now. I am currently doing a layout every week, but then also working my way backwards in 2012 and will stop once I get to August 2011, when Slater was born. I just loved the layouts once I started doing them, and then didn't want any of Slater's life missing from them.

    I think that your layout looks really good! I think that the colors all work really nicely together. I remember when I first started I didn't love my layouts at first either, but you kind of get the hang of it as you do more of them. I really like how mine (most of them) turn out now and it's something I look forward to doing every week.

    If you have any questions about it, feel free to email me. I love talking Project Life...it is so much fun!!!

    Nancy (your cousin)
    nancypants0510@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete