Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Day in Emma's Life

I'm officially in my third week back at work and so far our setup has been working pretty well! Most of the time when people ask what we're doing about child care and I tell them I work from home, they start by saying how nice that is, but then continue on about how difficult it must be to work with her in the house. I guess if I had to watch her and work, yes that would be near impossible (especially since her naps are still so unpredictable!). We feel very blessed to both be home with Emma every day, but it also takes some planning ahead and staying on top of things.

How we work it out is Mike is with her all day on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (unless I'm on deadline, then we shift everything around a bit), those are 'daddy days'. I am with her on Tuesday and Thursday, 'mommy days'. I still work on those days, but take my laptop out into the living room. We really enjoy this setup so far because it allows both of us to get stuff done, but still have that time with her that we enjoy so much.

Here's a look into a typical 'daddy day' for us:

Emma has been sleeping anywhere from 7-9 hours at night! If she gets less than 8 hours, its usually too early to be up for the day and she is still tired, so I feed her and we both go back to sleep for another couple hours. I'll wake up before her, get showered, and head downstairs to eat breakfast and get checked in to work. Usually she's up by that time so I go back up to feed again and get her changed and ready for the day. She is so smiley now and getting her diaper changed is one of her most smiley and favorite times!
See? She loves to smile! She also loves those hands lately and sucks and licks them almost all day.

I go back to work for a few hours and daddy takes Emma through her EASY (eat, activity, sleep, you time) routine. We're pretty lenient with the routine, but try to stick with it to give her some structure and what to expect next. Of course, if she's hungry I feed her and if she's tired we put her down to sleep at any time. During her activity time, we've started trying out tummy time, but she really hates it. :( She really has good neck control already though and practices tummy time when we lay her on our chest.

After about an hour of awake and active time, Emma is pooped out and ready for a nap. We put her down for naps in her crib now, trying to get her used to sleeping in there. She does pretty well in there and usually can calm herself back down when she starts stirring.
After she gets up, I know it's time to feed again. Honestly, this is one of my favorite parts of the day, I just love feeding her and I'm so grateful we are able to do this every day, all day (of course that means she is a bit challenged with taking a bottle, but I'll take that trade-off!).
Emma just loves to hang out with daddy all day and is usually pretty calm and relaxed most of the day. We're so lucky to have such a good baby!
I check out of work anywhere between 4-5pm, depending on how much work I have to get done. I make dinner and we all hang out until daddy leaves for work or until bath time.

We start bath time around 9pm and are in bed by about 10 or 10:30. I learned the hard way that at this age, it's best to put her down for bed at the time I want to go to bed! Her first stretch of sleep is always the longest and I don't want to miss out on any of that good quality sleep time. Her bed time routine includes bath (sometimes just on the counter and getting a good wipe down), coming her hair, lotion and massage time and then its to the changing station for freedom from the diaper time (her favorite!). While she's "free" she's the happiest and we read books to her at the changing station. I've tried showing her books in the chair after her diaper and pajamas are on and she gets fussy and just wants to feed, so this is what seems to work for now. :) After jammies and her puffy nighttime diaper are on, we feed, swaddle and she is down for the night. Rarely does she wake up after this for at least 4-5 hours on a 'bad' night.
The next day is my 'mommy day' so I can sleep until she sleeps and hang out with her all day. I love those days so much and it's really nice to get a bit of a work 'break' every other day.

We love this new way of life for us and feel so blessed to be able to watch our daughter grow and learn every single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment