While I was pregnant, I always enjoyed seeing new moms post their favorite baby necessities on their blogs. I've definitely learned that every baby is different and has different needs, but it was still nice to know about a lot of different product options out there and to hear reviews on them. I'm obviously no expert, but we did have a few favorite things for Emma that seemed to work wonders. I seem to have a lot of pregnant and new mom friends, so I thought I'd share what worked for us!
1) Dohm Sound Machine: We started using this from day one at home (had a sound machine app on our phones for the hopsital). Emma started sleeping 7 hours at night at 7 weeks and I'm sure this helped. She really doesn't get too bothered with noises while sleeping now. The doorbell can ring, her cousins can be rowdy and she doesn't hear a thing because of this machine!
2) 4Moms Bath Tub: I did some research on bath tubs to find out which we might like best. There are so many different kinds out there, it's confusing. We absolutely love this one! It constantly checks the water temperature and filters out the dirty water on it's own, so awesome! Of course we had to wait until Emma had better neck control to use it, but now she loves it. Bath time is her favorite time!
3) aden + anais Muslin Blankets: We love these blankets so much! We used them for swaddling Emma the first few weeks until she was able to bust out of them. We also use them every day to wrap around her, cover her in the house, cover her in her carseat, as a makeshift nursing cover, carseat cover and the list goes on and on. Since Emma was born during hot weather, these were the best because they are so light and breathable, but still keep her warm enough. They are so soft too! Seriously worth the investment. (Just be careful not to wash velcro with anything muslin!)
4) Exercise Ball: Yes, that is an exercise ball like you would use at the gym. We sit on it and bounce Emma to sleep instead of rocking her. It seriously works wonders!
5) Rock n Play: I didn't register for one of these because we wanted to keep baby equipment to a minimum (and we got a swing and bouncer as hand me downs...thank goodness because she rarely uses them). I regret not registering for this and using it from the beginning. Emma slept in this for naps and at night for the first 2.5 months! It's especially helpful when babies are stuffy or have reflux. Now she just loves sitting in it while we get ready, shower, use the restroom, etc. This one also has a vibration on it which is an extra little bonus.
6) SwaddleMe Swaddlers: We switched to these after she started breaking out of blankets and they have been really great! She's starting to grow out of hers now, but they make swaddling super easy and more difficult for her to bust out of. I also love the apple print, it's really cute!
7) BumGenius 4.0 One-Size Diapers: We didn't use these for the newborn stage, but were able to start them at around one month. We tried a ton of different kinds of newborn diapers (for that stage we like prefolds and covers). I definitely thought we'd like other brands over these, but it turns out these are the ones that fit Emma the best and hardly ever leak. If you are going to cloth diaper I still recommend trying out different styles on your baby, but definitely have a look at these. Best part is Buy Buy Baby carries them so you can use their coupons on them. :)
8) Look, Look! Book: This was a gift from Grandma and is by far Emma's favorite book! She doesn't like to sit and read before her nighttime feeding, so we read this to her when she's happiest...on the changing table, naked. I love seeing her look at the images in the book and I wonder what she is thinking when she sees them. She's starting to see a lot more things around her and not just high contrast, so I think we'll start transitioning to other books, but this was definitely best for the first few months!