Thursday, March 27, 2014

Our Breastfeeding Relationship

Next week we are starting Emma on solids, starting with puréed sweet potatoes! Up until now, she has been exclusively breastfed and rarely taken a bottle. That's 7 months of mama feeding and bonding. It's definitely become one of my favorite parts of the day and of being a mom. We use a baby tracker for feedings, sleep and diapers so I actually have a rough estimate of how many total hours have been spent feeding. Yes this might sound OCD to some, but it has been a lifesaver for us when rotating duties back and forth every day and it helps to see how much sleep and how many minutes of feedings she has had per day and how much more she may need.

So we've spent about 347 hours breastfeeding...that's a little over two full weeks! Yes of course it wasn't easy in the beginning. It took months to figure each other out. We dealt with a tongue tie, over supply, dairy allergies and many sleepless nights (still not sleeping through the night)...but it's all been worth it and my favorite part of this motherhood journey so far. I feel truly blessed to be able to do this and don't take it for granted for one second.

There's a part of me that is sad Emma is going to start "weaning" next week, it means she's growing up! I never thought I'd say this, but I'm happy to keep nursing as long as her and I would both like to. It's such a beautiful thing, why stop? Plus, breastmilk is amazing, it heals nearly everything. Can't be bad for her to keep getting liquid gold, right? :)

We're so anxious to see her face and reaction to those first few bites of sweet potatoes. We can tell she's ready to start, she stares at/grabs our food and grabs my hand with her supplements and puts them in her mouth. It's pretty cute!

Side note: I added up how much I've pumped in the last 7 months: 312 oz...most of which is dairy filled and can't be used to feed my baby! :(

1 comment:

  1. Take a picture or video of that first bite! The face could be huge entertainment in about 12 years...

    ReplyDelete