Friday, March 14, 2014

Sensitive Baby

Oh how I just love those squishy chubby baby legs and those cute little toes and feet that wrap around each other. I took this picture a few days ago, after we had an entire week of being rash free! I can't believe I just said that…no rashes at all, none. Not sure if I mentioned it, but her rashes were really bad…and I know all babies get rashes (plenty of people have told me this), but I'm pretty sure its not normal or ok for those rashes to bleed all over baby's bedding at night.

Of course, being rash-free meant it was time to introduce some foods back in to my diet to see if anything affected her skin. Our doctor suggested introducing dairy first (the one I felt like was the cause of the problem), so for two nights in a row, I ate a giant bowl of vanilla ice cream. I have to say, after almost two months of being completely dairy free, it did not sit well with me and I actually didn't even like the taste of it. Can you believe it?!

We gave it a little time to process through my system and hers and yesterday, we got our answer. Her cheek rash started flaring up a tiny bit and she developed eczema again on her neck, chest, arms, behind the knees and diaper area. Well, we know I can't eat a giant bowl of ice cream now, but after this clears we'll test for the eggs, peanuts and other sources of dairy like cheese.

While I obviously didn't want her to be sensitive to anything at all, I guess it's kind of a blessing in disguise. I've lost weight the past few weeks and feel better than ever! I'm not too sad about cutting it out of my diet for her sake, but it just becomes an inconvenience when eating at restaurants or other's houses. Hopefully this isn't a life-long thing for her and she grows out of it soon. We've been delaying giving her solids (per doctor's recommendation) because when introducing food, you want to look for rashes and reactions. Well, we'd have a difficult time deciphering what the reactions were to if she was sensitive to something so it's best to wait. If we can get this all sorted out by the time she is 7 months, we'll start then. But really, there's no rush.

The doctor also told us that she has extremely sensitive skin and we need to be careful what we use on her. We have spent so much on creams and lotions and shampoos, it's ridiculous. But, we finally have a regimen that seems to be working. The medicated cream we had is a miracle worker and we found a combination of lotions that work great. We just picked up some super sensitive (and natural) sunscreen, kind of sticker shock on how much it was for a tiny bottle, but with the weather warming up, we need to sure to keep her well protected.

It's nice to have some questions answered and to finally be able to know we can improve her skin and she doesn't have to be super rashy all the time. While I know eczema never really goes away, it feels like we have some control over it now. I'm one happy mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment