Monday, August 4, 2014

World Breastfeeding Week

This week is officially World Breastfeeding Week. I remember hearing about this last year while I was 8 months pregnant and hoping and praying I would be able to still be nursing by the time it came around in 2014. Feeling very grateful that we are still going strong and breastfeeding has worked out for both Emma and I. The joy and bond that comes from nursing a baby is hard to describe, it is my favorite thing from this past year!

As Emma approaches turning 1, I get asked sometimes if we're working on weaning her or if she's weaning herself. The answer is no. I'm prepared to nurse her for as long as she needs/wants. I never thought I'd feel that way, but it's become more than just a means to feed my baby. It's a bond we share, it's comfort when she's sick or hurt and it is security for her which helps her become more independent.

Maybe we'll be celebrating World Breastfeeding Week next year, maybe not. I'm just cherishing this precious time we have with our little baby while she still is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment