Wednesday, November 19, 2014

3-year Glutenversary

This fall marks three years since I decided to go on an elimination diet and figure out why I was so sick every single day. I've since become gluten free, the best decision I made for my health! I suddenly wasn't sick every day, my complexion changed, I lost a lot of weight, didn't feel foggy/exhausted all the time and so on. I'm still not 100% better, but it's a pretty dramatic change.

Last spring I also went dairy free, to help clear up Emma's eczema, but ended up finding I also felt much better by doing that! For some reason I really struggle with the dairy free. It's tough to have so many restrictions when eating at restaurants or at people's houses. We try doing dairy free at home and are more relaxed about it while out and about, but it is tough.

Every year I like to acknowledge my "glutenversary" because I feel like it started me on my journey to better health. It seems I really kicked it into gear when I went dairy free last spring, Emma starting solids and started going regularly to Fit4Mom classes at the park last February. This past October I started an 8-week class with Fit4Mom called Body Back. It's a super intense bootcamp that focuses on fitness and nutrition. I have to say, I haven't felt this healthy, fit and in shape since my high school volleyball days! I truly enjoy running now, which I never have liked…ever. Part of the finale of the class is a 5k run, which is next Monday. I'm nervous about it, but have more confidence now that I can mentally and physically do it. Wish me luck, this is my first big run ever!

Last week I came across a picture of myself at Thanksgiving three years ago – just a few weeks into my gluten free journey. I couldn't believe the difference. It seems I just look so tired, bloated and unhealthy…and I was! I recently was telling this to someone I just met a few weeks ago and she didn't believe me until I showed her the comparison. I'm a bit nervous to share it, but here it is:
A healthy and active lifestyle has now become a passion of mine and it's become a lifestyle change for our family. I feel like I'm constantly learning from friends, Facebook groups I'm in, my Body Back instructor and from my own body how to live a happier and healthier life. I'm so thankful for those wonderful influences and their support!

No comments:

Post a Comment