Saturday, November 29, 2014

My First Body Back Challenge


In February I joined Fit4Mom and religiously went to Stroller Barre classes with Emma twice a week. I saw some good results, more importantly felt more energized and we have made some wonderful friends. Joining this group has been the best thing for us! Still, I wanted to be more fit, healthier and working out more than two days a week, so I decided to try an 8-week Body Back session in October. This was our last week of class and wow, what a difference it has made!

This class was without the little ones and included six days a week of workouts, training for a 5k and daily challenges (for example, time how long it takes you to do 150 burpees...what?!).

Now being at the end of the session, I have some regrets about not pushing a bit harder, falling off track and frustration at my seasonal allergies that flared up halfway through. But, overall I improved tremendously and slimmed down too! I lost 5 lbs, 6 inches total (4.5 inches just in my hips and waist), cut off 1:16 from my mile and successfully ran a 5k in 36 minutes without stopping! These are huge accomplishments for me, someone who always wanted to love running but truly really hated it. 

On Thanksgiving morning I signed up to do the mile turkey trot and took Emma with me. It felt so great to be active right before having a giant feast, I want to make it an annual thing...maybe do the 5k next year (there was no way I was going to attempt two 5k's three days apart!).

Since class ended and through this holiday weekend I've lost my way a bit. I'm so ready to get back into the swing of things this next week. I don't want to lose the momentum! As far as food goes, I feel like I'm in a fruit and veggie rut and in desperate need of inspiration. I struggle cutting out dairy, even though it's clear it doesn't agree with me. I was so good for so long without it, but it's so hard to avoid over the holidays and while eating out...and we've been doing a lot of that lately. Because of this, I've decided to commit to the Whole 30, starting in January (because how impossible would that be over the holidays?!). It's 30 days of pure, clean eating and no dairy, gluten, grains of any kind, sugar or anything processed. The goal is not to lose weight but to clean out your system by reducing inflammatory foods and get you started on a healthier lifestyle. I'm really excited about it and hope it helps!

As far as running goes, I hope I can keep this up and work my way up in mileage and down in time. I haven't been this fit since my high school volleyball days and even then I never ever ran three miles straight. Yay to new accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment